Jesus Reinstates Peter
Continuing our walk through the days between Jesus’ resurrection and his ascension into heaven; Jesus reinstates Peter after appearing to the disciples.
Scripture | John 21:15-19
- What’s the setting of this story? What are the disciples still sitting beside? (Hint. John 18.15-18 and John 21.9).
- What question does Jesus ask Simon Peter? Why do you think Jesus asks him that question? Why do you think He asks it three times? (Hint: John 18.15-18, 25-27).
- What is Simon Peter’s response? In your own words, describe what you think Peter’s response means?
- Is this good news for Peter? Why or why not?
- How is Peter’s restoration good news for us?
- What is Jesus’ response to Peter’s answer? What do you think that means? (Note: there is no significance to the use of “lambs”, “sheep”, “feed”, and “tend”. These are just literary devices used to convey the same overall meaning.)
- What calling does this story place on our lives? What do you think it looks like to live it out?
- Read Verses 18-19. Why do you think Jesus ends his talk with Peter this way? What is He trying to tell him about the cost of “feeding sheep”?
- Is what’s true for Peter true for us? Why or why not?