THE TEN COMMANDMENTS — LIFE GROUP STUDY 3
Scripture | Mark 7:1-23 + Exodus 20:12
Theme: “Honor Your Father and Mother.
- Read Exodus 20:12. What do you think it means to honor your father and mother? Why do you think the Lord commanded his people to do this?
- Now read Mark 7:1-8. What did Jesus and his disciples do that upset the Scribes and Pharisees? Why did this upset them? What was Jesus's response?
- What do you think Jesus means in verses 6-8? Why would he be upset over a man-made rule that was intended to keep God's commandments?
- Read Mark 7:9-13. Jesus uses this as an example of what he means in vs. 8. What is Jesus trying to show us here? How are the Scribes and Pharisees not truly keeping the commandment to honor father and mother?
- Read Mark 7:14-22. According to Jesus, why don't these traditions keep us sinless?
- How do you think Jesus's words here help us understand what it means to "honor your father and mother"?
- How can these scriptures help us better understand God's love for us?