THE TEN COMMANDMENTS — LIFE GROUP STUDY 2
Scripture | Exodus 20:1-11 + Matthew 5:33-37
Theme: “Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and strength” (Commandments 1-4).
- Take 3 minutes and think about how you would fill in the blank: "I would feel completely safe if I have Jesus's love and ___________________." What does that promise to give you? Why do you think Jesus's love feels like it's not enough to keep you safe?
- Read Exodus 20:2. What does it mean that God "brought his people out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery"? Why do you think God prefaced His giving of the law with that statement?
- Read Exodus 20:3. Why do you think God commanded (and commands) people to do this?
- Read Exodus 20:4-6. What do you think this commandment means? Why do you think God is making these prohibitions? How do we fall into this trap?
- Read Exodus 20:7. What do you think this means? (Hint: Read Matthew 5:33-37; 23:16-22).
- Read Exodus 20:8-11. What do you think this commandment means? Why do you think God commanded this?
- What do these four commandments have in common?